Risk factors for hydrocephalus requiring external ventricular drainage in patients with intraventricular hemorrhage

Joshua D. Hughes, Ross Puffer, Alejandro Rabinstein

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

9 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Object External ventricular drainage (EVD) after intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) without symptomatic hydrocephalus is controversial. The object of this study was to examine indicators or the timeframe for hydrocephalus in patients not immediately treated with EVD after IVH. Methods Records from 2007 to 2014 were searched for "intraventricular hemorrhage" or "IVH." Inclusion criteria were IVH after intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH), trauma, tumor, or vascular anomalies. Exclusion criteria were IVH with more than minimal subarachnoid hemorrhage, catastrophic ICH, layering IVH only, or hydrocephalus treated immediately with EVD. IVH was measured with the modified Graeb Score (mGS). An mGS of 5 indicates a full ventricle with dilation. Statistics included chi-square, Student's t-test, and Mann-Whitney tests; receiver operating characteristics; and uni- and multivariate logistic regression. Results One hundred five patients met the criteria; of these, 30 (28.6%) required EVD. Panventricular IVH was the most common pattern (n = 49, 46.7%), with 25 of these patients (51%) requiring EVD. The median mGS was 18 ±5.4 (range 12-29) and 9 ±4.5 (range 2-21) in the EVD and No-EVD groups, respectively (p < 0.001). Factors associated with EVD were radiological hydrocephalus at presentation, midline shift > 5 mm, Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) score < 8, mGS > 13, third ventricle mGS = 5, and fourth ventricle mGS = 5. On multivariate analysis, GCS score < 8 [4.02 (range 1.13-14.84), p = 0.032], mGS > 13 [3.83 (range 1.02-14.89), p = 0.046], and fourth ventricle mGS = 5 [5.01 (range 1.26-22.78), p = 0.022] remained significant. Most patients treated with EVD (n = 25, 83.3%) required it soon after presentation [6.4 ±3.3 (range 1.5-14) hrs]. The remaining 5 patients (16.7%) had a delayed EVD requirement [70.7 ±22.7 (range 50-104.5) hrs]. Conclusions In this study population, the risk for EVD was variable, but greater with mGS > 13, coma, and a dilated fourth ventricle. While the need for EVD occurs within the 1st day after IVH in most patients, a minority require EVD after 48 hours.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1439-1446
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Neurosurgery
Volume123
Issue number6
DOIs
StatePublished - Dec 1 2015

Fingerprint

Hydrocephalus
Drainage
Hemorrhage
Fourth Ventricle
Glasgow Coma Scale
Cerebral Hemorrhage
Third Ventricle
Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
Coma
ROC Curve
Blood Vessels
Dilatation
Multivariate Analysis
Logistic Models
Students

Keywords

  • External ventricular drainage
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Intraventricular hemorrhage
  • Ventriculostomy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Clinical Neurology

Cite this

Risk factors for hydrocephalus requiring external ventricular drainage in patients with intraventricular hemorrhage. / Hughes, Joshua D.; Puffer, Ross; Rabinstein, Alejandro.

In: Journal of Neurosurgery, Vol. 123, No. 6, 01.12.2015, p. 1439-1446.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{e67836143021413095343f70a090480f,
title = "Risk factors for hydrocephalus requiring external ventricular drainage in patients with intraventricular hemorrhage",
abstract = "Object External ventricular drainage (EVD) after intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) without symptomatic hydrocephalus is controversial. The object of this study was to examine indicators or the timeframe for hydrocephalus in patients not immediately treated with EVD after IVH. Methods Records from 2007 to 2014 were searched for {"}intraventricular hemorrhage{"} or {"}IVH.{"} Inclusion criteria were IVH after intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH), trauma, tumor, or vascular anomalies. Exclusion criteria were IVH with more than minimal subarachnoid hemorrhage, catastrophic ICH, layering IVH only, or hydrocephalus treated immediately with EVD. IVH was measured with the modified Graeb Score (mGS). An mGS of 5 indicates a full ventricle with dilation. Statistics included chi-square, Student's t-test, and Mann-Whitney tests; receiver operating characteristics; and uni- and multivariate logistic regression. Results One hundred five patients met the criteria; of these, 30 (28.6{\%}) required EVD. Panventricular IVH was the most common pattern (n = 49, 46.7{\%}), with 25 of these patients (51{\%}) requiring EVD. The median mGS was 18 ±5.4 (range 12-29) and 9 ±4.5 (range 2-21) in the EVD and No-EVD groups, respectively (p < 0.001). Factors associated with EVD were radiological hydrocephalus at presentation, midline shift > 5 mm, Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) score < 8, mGS > 13, third ventricle mGS = 5, and fourth ventricle mGS = 5. On multivariate analysis, GCS score < 8 [4.02 (range 1.13-14.84), p = 0.032], mGS > 13 [3.83 (range 1.02-14.89), p = 0.046], and fourth ventricle mGS = 5 [5.01 (range 1.26-22.78), p = 0.022] remained significant. Most patients treated with EVD (n = 25, 83.3{\%}) required it soon after presentation [6.4 ±3.3 (range 1.5-14) hrs]. The remaining 5 patients (16.7{\%}) had a delayed EVD requirement [70.7 ±22.7 (range 50-104.5) hrs]. Conclusions In this study population, the risk for EVD was variable, but greater with mGS > 13, coma, and a dilated fourth ventricle. While the need for EVD occurs within the 1st day after IVH in most patients, a minority require EVD after 48 hours.",
keywords = "External ventricular drainage, Hydrocephalus, Intraventricular hemorrhage, Ventriculostomy",
author = "Hughes, {Joshua D.} and Ross Puffer and Alejandro Rabinstein",
year = "2015",
month = "12",
day = "1",
doi = "10.3171/2015.1.JNS142391",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "123",
pages = "1439--1446",
journal = "Journal of Neurosurgery",
issn = "0022-3085",
publisher = "American Association of Neurological Surgeons",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Risk factors for hydrocephalus requiring external ventricular drainage in patients with intraventricular hemorrhage

AU - Hughes, Joshua D.

AU - Puffer, Ross

AU - Rabinstein, Alejandro

PY - 2015/12/1

Y1 - 2015/12/1

N2 - Object External ventricular drainage (EVD) after intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) without symptomatic hydrocephalus is controversial. The object of this study was to examine indicators or the timeframe for hydrocephalus in patients not immediately treated with EVD after IVH. Methods Records from 2007 to 2014 were searched for "intraventricular hemorrhage" or "IVH." Inclusion criteria were IVH after intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH), trauma, tumor, or vascular anomalies. Exclusion criteria were IVH with more than minimal subarachnoid hemorrhage, catastrophic ICH, layering IVH only, or hydrocephalus treated immediately with EVD. IVH was measured with the modified Graeb Score (mGS). An mGS of 5 indicates a full ventricle with dilation. Statistics included chi-square, Student's t-test, and Mann-Whitney tests; receiver operating characteristics; and uni- and multivariate logistic regression. Results One hundred five patients met the criteria; of these, 30 (28.6%) required EVD. Panventricular IVH was the most common pattern (n = 49, 46.7%), with 25 of these patients (51%) requiring EVD. The median mGS was 18 ±5.4 (range 12-29) and 9 ±4.5 (range 2-21) in the EVD and No-EVD groups, respectively (p < 0.001). Factors associated with EVD were radiological hydrocephalus at presentation, midline shift > 5 mm, Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) score < 8, mGS > 13, third ventricle mGS = 5, and fourth ventricle mGS = 5. On multivariate analysis, GCS score < 8 [4.02 (range 1.13-14.84), p = 0.032], mGS > 13 [3.83 (range 1.02-14.89), p = 0.046], and fourth ventricle mGS = 5 [5.01 (range 1.26-22.78), p = 0.022] remained significant. Most patients treated with EVD (n = 25, 83.3%) required it soon after presentation [6.4 ±3.3 (range 1.5-14) hrs]. The remaining 5 patients (16.7%) had a delayed EVD requirement [70.7 ±22.7 (range 50-104.5) hrs]. Conclusions In this study population, the risk for EVD was variable, but greater with mGS > 13, coma, and a dilated fourth ventricle. While the need for EVD occurs within the 1st day after IVH in most patients, a minority require EVD after 48 hours.

AB - Object External ventricular drainage (EVD) after intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) without symptomatic hydrocephalus is controversial. The object of this study was to examine indicators or the timeframe for hydrocephalus in patients not immediately treated with EVD after IVH. Methods Records from 2007 to 2014 were searched for "intraventricular hemorrhage" or "IVH." Inclusion criteria were IVH after intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH), trauma, tumor, or vascular anomalies. Exclusion criteria were IVH with more than minimal subarachnoid hemorrhage, catastrophic ICH, layering IVH only, or hydrocephalus treated immediately with EVD. IVH was measured with the modified Graeb Score (mGS). An mGS of 5 indicates a full ventricle with dilation. Statistics included chi-square, Student's t-test, and Mann-Whitney tests; receiver operating characteristics; and uni- and multivariate logistic regression. Results One hundred five patients met the criteria; of these, 30 (28.6%) required EVD. Panventricular IVH was the most common pattern (n = 49, 46.7%), with 25 of these patients (51%) requiring EVD. The median mGS was 18 ±5.4 (range 12-29) and 9 ±4.5 (range 2-21) in the EVD and No-EVD groups, respectively (p < 0.001). Factors associated with EVD were radiological hydrocephalus at presentation, midline shift > 5 mm, Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) score < 8, mGS > 13, third ventricle mGS = 5, and fourth ventricle mGS = 5. On multivariate analysis, GCS score < 8 [4.02 (range 1.13-14.84), p = 0.032], mGS > 13 [3.83 (range 1.02-14.89), p = 0.046], and fourth ventricle mGS = 5 [5.01 (range 1.26-22.78), p = 0.022] remained significant. Most patients treated with EVD (n = 25, 83.3%) required it soon after presentation [6.4 ±3.3 (range 1.5-14) hrs]. The remaining 5 patients (16.7%) had a delayed EVD requirement [70.7 ±22.7 (range 50-104.5) hrs]. Conclusions In this study population, the risk for EVD was variable, but greater with mGS > 13, coma, and a dilated fourth ventricle. While the need for EVD occurs within the 1st day after IVH in most patients, a minority require EVD after 48 hours.

KW - External ventricular drainage

KW - Hydrocephalus

KW - Intraventricular hemorrhage

KW - Ventriculostomy

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84964694066&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84964694066&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.3171/2015.1.JNS142391

DO - 10.3171/2015.1.JNS142391

M3 - Article

C2 - 26186024

AN - SCOPUS:84964694066

VL - 123

SP - 1439

EP - 1446

JO - Journal of Neurosurgery

JF - Journal of Neurosurgery

SN - 0022-3085

IS - 6

ER -