Neoadjuvant chemotherapy does not increase peri-operative morbidity following radical cystectomy

Amandeep Arora, Ahmed S. Zugail, Felipe Pugliesi, Xavier Cathelineau, Petr Macek, Yann Barbé, R. Jeffrey Karnes, Mohamed Ahmed, Ettore Di Trapani, Francesco Soria, Mario Alvarez-Maestro, Francesco Montorsi, Alberto Briganti, Andrea Necchi, Benjamin Pradere, David D’Andrea, Wojciech Krajewski, Mathieu Roumiguié, Anne Sophie Bajeot, Rodolfo HurleRoberto Contieri, Roberto Carando, Jeremy Yuen Chun Teoh, Morgan Roupret, Daniel Benamran, Guillaume Ploussard, M. Carmen Mir, Rafael Sanchez-Salas, Marco Moschini

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Objective: To determine whether use of neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NAC) is associated with a higher risk of post-operative complications following radical cystectomy (RC) for bladder cancer (BCa). Materials and methods: We retrospectively reviewed records of patients undergoing RC for non-metastatic urothelial BCa at 13 tertiary care centres from 2007–2019. Patients who received NAC (‘NAC + RC’ group) were compared with those who underwent upfront RC (‘RC alone’ group) for intra-operative variables, incidence of post-operative complications as per the Clavien–Dindo classification (CDC) and rates of re-admission and re-intervention. Multivariable logistic regression analysis was performed to determine predictors of CDC overall and CDC major (grade III–V) complications. We also analysed the trend of NAC utilization over the study period. Results: Of the 3113 patients included, 968 (31.1%) received NAC while the remaining 2145 (68.9%) underwent upfront RC for BCa. There was no significant difference between the NAC + RC and RC alone groups with regards to 30-day CDC overall (53.2% vs 54.6%, p = 0.4) and CDC major (15.5% vs 16.5%, p = 0.6) complications. The two groups were comparable for the rate of surgical re-intervention (14.6% in each group) and re-hospitalization (19.6% in NAC + RC vs 17.9% in RC alone, p = 0.2%) at 90 days. On multivariable regression analysis, NAC use was not found to be a significant predictor of 90-day CDC overall (OR 1.02, CI 0.87–1.19, p = 0.7) and CDC major (OR 1.05, CI 0.87–1.26, p = 0.6) complications. We also observed that the rate of NAC utilization increased significantly (p < 0.001) from 11.1% in 2007 to 41.2% in 2019, reaching a maximum of 48.3% in 2018. Conclusion: This large multicentre analysis with a substantial rate of NAC utilization showed that NAC use does not lead to an increased risk of post-operative complications following RC for BCa. This calls for increasing NAC use to allow patients to avail of its proven oncologic benefit.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1697-1705
Number of pages9
JournalWorld Journal of Urology
Issue number7
StatePublished - Jul 2022


  • Bladder cancer
  • Clavien–Dindo classification
  • Complications
  • Neoadjuvant chemotherapy
  • Radical cystectomy
  • Urothelial cancer

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Urology


Dive into the research topics of 'Neoadjuvant chemotherapy does not increase peri-operative morbidity following radical cystectomy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this