Giant cell tumor in skeletally immature patients

Mark J. Kransdorf, Donald E. Sweet, Peter C. Buetow, Michaela A I Giudici, Richard P. Moser

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

44 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The radiographs and clinical and surgical histories of 50 skeletally immature patients with histologically verified giant cell tumor (GCT) of the long and short tubular bones were retrospectively studied to determine the prevalence, location within bone (eg, epiphysis, metaphysis), skeletal distribution, radiographic appearance, and pathogenesis of GCTs. Skeletal immaturity was determined radiographically by the presence of open epiphyses. Patients were selected from a group of 876 patients who were seen in consultation with documented GCT of the tubular bones. Approximately 5.7% of all GCTs occurred in the skeletally immature (this rate must be viewed with caution due to the selection bias inherent in any referral population). The lesions almost invariably involved the metaphysis. The tibia was the most commonly affected site, representing approximately 26% of cases. All were geographic lytic lesions, with margins ranging from sclerotic to ill defined. An expanded (widened), remodeled bone contour was frequently encountered. Approximately 56% of lesions were solid or solid with cystic change; the remaining 44% were predominantly cystic.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)233-237
Number of pages5
JournalRadiology
Volume184
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jul 1992
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Giant Cell Tumors
Epiphyses
Bone and Bones
Referral and Consultation
Giant Cell Tumor of Bone
Selection Bias
Tibia
Population

Keywords

  • Bone neoplasms, 40.3182
  • Bone neoplasms, diagnosis, 40.3182

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiological and Ultrasound Technology

Cite this

Kransdorf, M. J., Sweet, D. E., Buetow, P. C., Giudici, M. A. I., & Moser, R. P. (1992). Giant cell tumor in skeletally immature patients. Radiology, 184(1), 233-237.

Giant cell tumor in skeletally immature patients. / Kransdorf, Mark J.; Sweet, Donald E.; Buetow, Peter C.; Giudici, Michaela A I; Moser, Richard P.

In: Radiology, Vol. 184, No. 1, 07.1992, p. 233-237.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Kransdorf, MJ, Sweet, DE, Buetow, PC, Giudici, MAI & Moser, RP 1992, 'Giant cell tumor in skeletally immature patients', Radiology, vol. 184, no. 1, pp. 233-237.
Kransdorf MJ, Sweet DE, Buetow PC, Giudici MAI, Moser RP. Giant cell tumor in skeletally immature patients. Radiology. 1992 Jul;184(1):233-237.
Kransdorf, Mark J. ; Sweet, Donald E. ; Buetow, Peter C. ; Giudici, Michaela A I ; Moser, Richard P. / Giant cell tumor in skeletally immature patients. In: Radiology. 1992 ; Vol. 184, No. 1. pp. 233-237.
@article{5762fe1f06e048e2ad3b850f9a1b96b7,
title = "Giant cell tumor in skeletally immature patients",
abstract = "The radiographs and clinical and surgical histories of 50 skeletally immature patients with histologically verified giant cell tumor (GCT) of the long and short tubular bones were retrospectively studied to determine the prevalence, location within bone (eg, epiphysis, metaphysis), skeletal distribution, radiographic appearance, and pathogenesis of GCTs. Skeletal immaturity was determined radiographically by the presence of open epiphyses. Patients were selected from a group of 876 patients who were seen in consultation with documented GCT of the tubular bones. Approximately 5.7{\%} of all GCTs occurred in the skeletally immature (this rate must be viewed with caution due to the selection bias inherent in any referral population). The lesions almost invariably involved the metaphysis. The tibia was the most commonly affected site, representing approximately 26{\%} of cases. All were geographic lytic lesions, with margins ranging from sclerotic to ill defined. An expanded (widened), remodeled bone contour was frequently encountered. Approximately 56{\%} of lesions were solid or solid with cystic change; the remaining 44{\%} were predominantly cystic.",
keywords = "Bone neoplasms, 40.3182, Bone neoplasms, diagnosis, 40.3182",
author = "Kransdorf, {Mark J.} and Sweet, {Donald E.} and Buetow, {Peter C.} and Giudici, {Michaela A I} and Moser, {Richard P.}",
year = "1992",
month = "7",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "184",
pages = "233--237",
journal = "Radiology",
issn = "0033-8419",
publisher = "Radiological Society of North America Inc.",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Giant cell tumor in skeletally immature patients

AU - Kransdorf, Mark J.

AU - Sweet, Donald E.

AU - Buetow, Peter C.

AU - Giudici, Michaela A I

AU - Moser, Richard P.

PY - 1992/7

Y1 - 1992/7

N2 - The radiographs and clinical and surgical histories of 50 skeletally immature patients with histologically verified giant cell tumor (GCT) of the long and short tubular bones were retrospectively studied to determine the prevalence, location within bone (eg, epiphysis, metaphysis), skeletal distribution, radiographic appearance, and pathogenesis of GCTs. Skeletal immaturity was determined radiographically by the presence of open epiphyses. Patients were selected from a group of 876 patients who were seen in consultation with documented GCT of the tubular bones. Approximately 5.7% of all GCTs occurred in the skeletally immature (this rate must be viewed with caution due to the selection bias inherent in any referral population). The lesions almost invariably involved the metaphysis. The tibia was the most commonly affected site, representing approximately 26% of cases. All were geographic lytic lesions, with margins ranging from sclerotic to ill defined. An expanded (widened), remodeled bone contour was frequently encountered. Approximately 56% of lesions were solid or solid with cystic change; the remaining 44% were predominantly cystic.

AB - The radiographs and clinical and surgical histories of 50 skeletally immature patients with histologically verified giant cell tumor (GCT) of the long and short tubular bones were retrospectively studied to determine the prevalence, location within bone (eg, epiphysis, metaphysis), skeletal distribution, radiographic appearance, and pathogenesis of GCTs. Skeletal immaturity was determined radiographically by the presence of open epiphyses. Patients were selected from a group of 876 patients who were seen in consultation with documented GCT of the tubular bones. Approximately 5.7% of all GCTs occurred in the skeletally immature (this rate must be viewed with caution due to the selection bias inherent in any referral population). The lesions almost invariably involved the metaphysis. The tibia was the most commonly affected site, representing approximately 26% of cases. All were geographic lytic lesions, with margins ranging from sclerotic to ill defined. An expanded (widened), remodeled bone contour was frequently encountered. Approximately 56% of lesions were solid or solid with cystic change; the remaining 44% were predominantly cystic.

KW - Bone neoplasms, 40.3182

KW - Bone neoplasms, diagnosis, 40.3182

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0026710654&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0026710654&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 1609086

AN - SCOPUS:0026710654

VL - 184

SP - 233

EP - 237

JO - Radiology

JF - Radiology

SN - 0033-8419

IS - 1

ER -