COX-2 expression correlates with survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases

Nidra I. Rodriguez, William Keith Hoots, Nadezhda V. Koshkina, Jaime A. Morales-Arias, Carola A.S. Arndt, Carrie Y. Inwards, Douglas S. Hawkins, Mark F. Munsell, Eugenie S. Kleinerman

Research output: Contribution to journalComment/debate

27 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to determine whether a correlation exists between tumor cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 expression and disease-specific survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. Thirty-six patients diagnosed with osteosarcoma lung metastases between the years 1990 and 2001 were included in this retrospective study. The majority of the patients (72%) presented newly -diagnosed osteosarcoma lung metastases whereas the remaining patients (28%) presented recurrent disease. Clinicopathologic parameters were obtained from patients' clinical records. Tissue samples were obtained at the time of resection of the lung metastases and stained for COX-2 using immunohistochemistry. Samples were graded according to the intensity of COX-2 staining (grade 0: negative, grade 1: very weak, grade 2: weak, grade 3: moderate, and grade 4: strong). COX-2 staining was correlated with disease-specific survival and clinicopathologic parameters using the Jonckheere-Terpstra and the Kruskal-Wallis tests. All patients with grade 3 or 4 COX-2 expression died of osteosarcoma lung metastases. Ten percent of patients with grade 2 COX-2 expression and 29% of patients with grade 1 expression were alive and free of disease at the last follow-up. By contrast, 60% of the patients with grade 0 COX-2 expression were alive and free of disease at the last follow-up. No association between COX-2 expression and clinicopathologic parameters was found. However, COX-2 expression correlated inversely with disease-specific survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. Our data indicate that COX-2 expression in metastatic osteosarcoma may have prognostic significance.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)507-512
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Volume30
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 2008
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Osteosarcoma
Cyclooxygenase 2
Neoplasm Metastasis
Lung
Survival
Staining and Labeling
Retrospective Studies
Immunohistochemistry

Keywords

  • COX-2
  • Lung metastases
  • Osteosarcoma

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Oncology
  • Hematology
  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

Rodriguez, N. I., Hoots, W. K., Koshkina, N. V., Morales-Arias, J. A., Arndt, C. A. S., Inwards, C. Y., ... Kleinerman, E. S. (2008). COX-2 expression correlates with survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, 30(7), 507-512. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPH.0b013e31816e238c

COX-2 expression correlates with survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. / Rodriguez, Nidra I.; Hoots, William Keith; Koshkina, Nadezhda V.; Morales-Arias, Jaime A.; Arndt, Carola A.S.; Inwards, Carrie Y.; Hawkins, Douglas S.; Munsell, Mark F.; Kleinerman, Eugenie S.

In: Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Vol. 30, No. 7, 07.2008, p. 507-512.

Research output: Contribution to journalComment/debate

Rodriguez, NI, Hoots, WK, Koshkina, NV, Morales-Arias, JA, Arndt, CAS, Inwards, CY, Hawkins, DS, Munsell, MF & Kleinerman, ES 2008, 'COX-2 expression correlates with survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases', Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 507-512. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPH.0b013e31816e238c
Rodriguez, Nidra I. ; Hoots, William Keith ; Koshkina, Nadezhda V. ; Morales-Arias, Jaime A. ; Arndt, Carola A.S. ; Inwards, Carrie Y. ; Hawkins, Douglas S. ; Munsell, Mark F. ; Kleinerman, Eugenie S. / COX-2 expression correlates with survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. In: Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. 2008 ; Vol. 30, No. 7. pp. 507-512.
@article{d479cd73cec7423aa40d5c4b3d7ebe5a,
title = "COX-2 expression correlates with survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases",
abstract = "The purpose of this study was to determine whether a correlation exists between tumor cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 expression and disease-specific survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. Thirty-six patients diagnosed with osteosarcoma lung metastases between the years 1990 and 2001 were included in this retrospective study. The majority of the patients (72{\%}) presented newly -diagnosed osteosarcoma lung metastases whereas the remaining patients (28{\%}) presented recurrent disease. Clinicopathologic parameters were obtained from patients' clinical records. Tissue samples were obtained at the time of resection of the lung metastases and stained for COX-2 using immunohistochemistry. Samples were graded according to the intensity of COX-2 staining (grade 0: negative, grade 1: very weak, grade 2: weak, grade 3: moderate, and grade 4: strong). COX-2 staining was correlated with disease-specific survival and clinicopathologic parameters using the Jonckheere-Terpstra and the Kruskal-Wallis tests. All patients with grade 3 or 4 COX-2 expression died of osteosarcoma lung metastases. Ten percent of patients with grade 2 COX-2 expression and 29{\%} of patients with grade 1 expression were alive and free of disease at the last follow-up. By contrast, 60{\%} of the patients with grade 0 COX-2 expression were alive and free of disease at the last follow-up. No association between COX-2 expression and clinicopathologic parameters was found. However, COX-2 expression correlated inversely with disease-specific survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. Our data indicate that COX-2 expression in metastatic osteosarcoma may have prognostic significance.",
keywords = "COX-2, Lung metastases, Osteosarcoma",
author = "Rodriguez, {Nidra I.} and Hoots, {William Keith} and Koshkina, {Nadezhda V.} and Morales-Arias, {Jaime A.} and Arndt, {Carola A.S.} and Inwards, {Carrie Y.} and Hawkins, {Douglas S.} and Munsell, {Mark F.} and Kleinerman, {Eugenie S.}",
year = "2008",
month = "7",
doi = "10.1097/MPH.0b013e31816e238c",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "30",
pages = "507--512",
journal = "Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology",
issn = "1077-4114",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "7",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - COX-2 expression correlates with survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases

AU - Rodriguez, Nidra I.

AU - Hoots, William Keith

AU - Koshkina, Nadezhda V.

AU - Morales-Arias, Jaime A.

AU - Arndt, Carola A.S.

AU - Inwards, Carrie Y.

AU - Hawkins, Douglas S.

AU - Munsell, Mark F.

AU - Kleinerman, Eugenie S.

PY - 2008/7

Y1 - 2008/7

N2 - The purpose of this study was to determine whether a correlation exists between tumor cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 expression and disease-specific survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. Thirty-six patients diagnosed with osteosarcoma lung metastases between the years 1990 and 2001 were included in this retrospective study. The majority of the patients (72%) presented newly -diagnosed osteosarcoma lung metastases whereas the remaining patients (28%) presented recurrent disease. Clinicopathologic parameters were obtained from patients' clinical records. Tissue samples were obtained at the time of resection of the lung metastases and stained for COX-2 using immunohistochemistry. Samples were graded according to the intensity of COX-2 staining (grade 0: negative, grade 1: very weak, grade 2: weak, grade 3: moderate, and grade 4: strong). COX-2 staining was correlated with disease-specific survival and clinicopathologic parameters using the Jonckheere-Terpstra and the Kruskal-Wallis tests. All patients with grade 3 or 4 COX-2 expression died of osteosarcoma lung metastases. Ten percent of patients with grade 2 COX-2 expression and 29% of patients with grade 1 expression were alive and free of disease at the last follow-up. By contrast, 60% of the patients with grade 0 COX-2 expression were alive and free of disease at the last follow-up. No association between COX-2 expression and clinicopathologic parameters was found. However, COX-2 expression correlated inversely with disease-specific survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. Our data indicate that COX-2 expression in metastatic osteosarcoma may have prognostic significance.

AB - The purpose of this study was to determine whether a correlation exists between tumor cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 expression and disease-specific survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. Thirty-six patients diagnosed with osteosarcoma lung metastases between the years 1990 and 2001 were included in this retrospective study. The majority of the patients (72%) presented newly -diagnosed osteosarcoma lung metastases whereas the remaining patients (28%) presented recurrent disease. Clinicopathologic parameters were obtained from patients' clinical records. Tissue samples were obtained at the time of resection of the lung metastases and stained for COX-2 using immunohistochemistry. Samples were graded according to the intensity of COX-2 staining (grade 0: negative, grade 1: very weak, grade 2: weak, grade 3: moderate, and grade 4: strong). COX-2 staining was correlated with disease-specific survival and clinicopathologic parameters using the Jonckheere-Terpstra and the Kruskal-Wallis tests. All patients with grade 3 or 4 COX-2 expression died of osteosarcoma lung metastases. Ten percent of patients with grade 2 COX-2 expression and 29% of patients with grade 1 expression were alive and free of disease at the last follow-up. By contrast, 60% of the patients with grade 0 COX-2 expression were alive and free of disease at the last follow-up. No association between COX-2 expression and clinicopathologic parameters was found. However, COX-2 expression correlated inversely with disease-specific survival in patients with osteosarcoma lung metastases. Our data indicate that COX-2 expression in metastatic osteosarcoma may have prognostic significance.

KW - COX-2

KW - Lung metastases

KW - Osteosarcoma

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=54449099511&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=54449099511&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1097/MPH.0b013e31816e238c

DO - 10.1097/MPH.0b013e31816e238c

M3 - Comment/debate

VL - 30

SP - 507

EP - 512

JO - Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology

JF - Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology

SN - 1077-4114

IS - 7

ER -