Tumor and histocompatibility antigen interaction: direct visualization by a double-label bridging technique for immuno-electron microscopy

Randal E. Morris, Chella S. David, Michael D. Manhart

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The nature of the interaction between the Ib tumor-associated surface antigen (Ib-TASA) and the Dk and Kk (Dk/Kk) regions of the major histocompatibility complex on the surface of line Ib lymphocytes was evaluated by immuno-electron microscopy using a double-label bridging technique. Quantitation of antigenic sites by direct counts showed 44% of the Ib-TASA sites coincident with Dk/Kk antigens. This is greater than the predicted random interaction of two independent cell surface determinants suggesting an associative interaction, i.e. 'altered-self' antigen. The remaining 56% of the Ib-TASA sites were in a non-associative mode. On the basis of data presented here, we postulate that the interaction between 'self'- and 'non-self' antigens is not an 'all or none' phenomenon.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)973-982
Number of pages10
JournalMolecular Immunology
Volume19
Issue number8
DOIs
StatePublished - 1982

Fingerprint

Histocompatibility Antigens
Immunoelectron Microscopy
Neoplasm Antigens
Surface Antigens
Antigens
Neoplasms
Autoantigens
Major Histocompatibility Complex
Lymphocytes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Molecular Biology
  • Immunology

Cite this

Tumor and histocompatibility antigen interaction : direct visualization by a double-label bridging technique for immuno-electron microscopy. / Morris, Randal E.; David, Chella S.; Manhart, Michael D.

In: Molecular Immunology, Vol. 19, No. 8, 1982, p. 973-982.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{2ea7af90810d4dd38e92a6cf8fca9426,
title = "Tumor and histocompatibility antigen interaction: direct visualization by a double-label bridging technique for immuno-electron microscopy",
abstract = "The nature of the interaction between the Ib tumor-associated surface antigen (Ib-TASA) and the Dk and Kk (Dk/Kk) regions of the major histocompatibility complex on the surface of line Ib lymphocytes was evaluated by immuno-electron microscopy using a double-label bridging technique. Quantitation of antigenic sites by direct counts showed 44{\%} of the Ib-TASA sites coincident with Dk/Kk antigens. This is greater than the predicted random interaction of two independent cell surface determinants suggesting an associative interaction, i.e. 'altered-self' antigen. The remaining 56{\%} of the Ib-TASA sites were in a non-associative mode. On the basis of data presented here, we postulate that the interaction between 'self'- and 'non-self' antigens is not an 'all or none' phenomenon.",
author = "Morris, {Randal E.} and David, {Chella S.} and Manhart, {Michael D.}",
year = "1982",
doi = "10.1016/0161-5890(82)90305-4",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "19",
pages = "973--982",
journal = "Molecular Immunology",
issn = "0161-5890",
publisher = "Elsevier Limited",
number = "8",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Tumor and histocompatibility antigen interaction

T2 - direct visualization by a double-label bridging technique for immuno-electron microscopy

AU - Morris, Randal E.

AU - David, Chella S.

AU - Manhart, Michael D.

PY - 1982

Y1 - 1982

N2 - The nature of the interaction between the Ib tumor-associated surface antigen (Ib-TASA) and the Dk and Kk (Dk/Kk) regions of the major histocompatibility complex on the surface of line Ib lymphocytes was evaluated by immuno-electron microscopy using a double-label bridging technique. Quantitation of antigenic sites by direct counts showed 44% of the Ib-TASA sites coincident with Dk/Kk antigens. This is greater than the predicted random interaction of two independent cell surface determinants suggesting an associative interaction, i.e. 'altered-self' antigen. The remaining 56% of the Ib-TASA sites were in a non-associative mode. On the basis of data presented here, we postulate that the interaction between 'self'- and 'non-self' antigens is not an 'all or none' phenomenon.

AB - The nature of the interaction between the Ib tumor-associated surface antigen (Ib-TASA) and the Dk and Kk (Dk/Kk) regions of the major histocompatibility complex on the surface of line Ib lymphocytes was evaluated by immuno-electron microscopy using a double-label bridging technique. Quantitation of antigenic sites by direct counts showed 44% of the Ib-TASA sites coincident with Dk/Kk antigens. This is greater than the predicted random interaction of two independent cell surface determinants suggesting an associative interaction, i.e. 'altered-self' antigen. The remaining 56% of the Ib-TASA sites were in a non-associative mode. On the basis of data presented here, we postulate that the interaction between 'self'- and 'non-self' antigens is not an 'all or none' phenomenon.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0019986978&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0019986978&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/0161-5890(82)90305-4

DO - 10.1016/0161-5890(82)90305-4

M3 - Article

C2 - 6182456

AN - SCOPUS:0019986978

VL - 19

SP - 973

EP - 982

JO - Molecular Immunology

JF - Molecular Immunology

SN - 0161-5890

IS - 8

ER -