Treatment of airway inflammation improves exercise pulmonary gas exchange and performance in asthmatic subjects

Hans C. Haverkamp, Jerome A. Dempsey, David F. Pegelow, Jordan D. Miller, Lee M. Romer, Marcus Santana, Marlowe W. Eldridge

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

22 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background: Asthma is an inflammatory disease of the airways that can lead to impaired arterial blood oxygenation during exercise. Objective: We asked whether treatment of airway inflammation in asthmatic subjects would improve arterial blood gases during whole-body exercise. Methods: By using a double-blind parallel-group design, 19 asthmatic subjects completed treadmill exercise to exhaustion on 2 occasions: (1) before and (2) after 6 weeks' treatment with an inhaled corticosteroid (ICS; n = 9) or placebo (n = 10). Results: The ICS group had improved resting pulmonary function, decreased exercise-induced bronchospasm, and decreased postexercise sputum histamine during the posttreatment study compared with that during the pretreatment study. In the ICS group exercise Pao2 was significantly increased after treatment (84.8 to 93.8 mm Hg). Increased alveolar ventilation (arterial Pco2 decreased from 36.9 to 34.1 mm Hg) accounted for 37% of the increased Pao2 and improved gas exchange efficiency (alveolar-to-arterial Po2 difference decreased from 22.5 to 16.3 mm Hg) accounted for the remaining 63% of the increased Pao2 after treatment. In the ICS group exercise time to exhaustion was increased from 9.9 minutes during the pretreatment study to 14.8 minutes during the posttreatment study. Conclusion: Treatment of airway inflammation in asthmatic subjects can improve arterial blood oxygenation during exercise by (1) improving airway function, thereby allowing increased alveolar ventilation during exercise, and (2) improving the efficiency of alveolar-to-arterial blood O2 exchange. Clinical implications: In asthmatic patients ICSs not only attenuate exercise-induced bronchospasm but also improve arterial blood oxygenation during exercise.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)39-47
Number of pages9
JournalJournal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Volume120
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 1 2007

Keywords

  • Airway inflammation
  • arterial blood gases
  • asthma
  • exercise
  • exercise-induced bronchospasm
  • flow-volume loop
  • inhaled corticosteroids
  • pulmonary function
  • pulmonary gas exchange
  • pulmonary mechanics

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Immunology and Allergy
  • Immunology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Treatment of airway inflammation improves exercise pulmonary gas exchange and performance in asthmatic subjects'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Haverkamp, H. C., Dempsey, J. A., Pegelow, D. F., Miller, J. D., Romer, L. M., Santana, M., & Eldridge, M. W. (2007). Treatment of airway inflammation improves exercise pulmonary gas exchange and performance in asthmatic subjects. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 120(1), 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2007.03.013