The association between thromboembolic complications and blood group in patients with atrial fibrillation

Jodi M. Blustin, Robert D. McBane, Matylda Mazur, Naser Ammash, Ondrej Sochor, Diane E. Grill, Waldemar E. Wysokinski

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

5 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective To determine whether blood type affects the risk of thromboembolic complications in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF). Patients and Methods The Mayo Clinic electronic medical record was searched (between January 1, 2004, and December 31, 2010) to identify all patients with AF with blood group assessment. Records were analyzed for stroke, transient ischemic attack, left atrium appendage thrombus, cerebral or peripheral embolism, and hemorrhagic stroke. All events were adjusted for Congestive heart failure, Hypertension, Age >75 Years, Diabetes mellitus, and Stroke/transient ischemic attack score. Results Of the 47,816 patients with AF, 14,462 had blood group type available (40% women; mean age, 73±12 years). These included 12,363 patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation (NVAF) (40% women; mean age, 73±12 years) and 2099 patients with valvular AF (41% women, mean age, 73±12 years). Within patients with NVAF, the rate of peripheral embolization was significantly lower in those with blood type O (2.0%) than in those with other blood types (3.0%; odds ratio, 0.66; 95% CI, 0.52-0.84; P

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)216-223
Number of pages8
JournalMayo Clinic Proceedings
Volume90
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 1 2015

Fingerprint

Blood Group Antigens
Atrial Fibrillation
Stroke
Transient Ischemic Attack
Intracranial Thrombosis
Atrial Appendage
Electronic Health Records
Embolism
Heart Atria
Diabetes Mellitus
Heart Failure
Odds Ratio
Hypertension

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

Blustin, J. M., McBane, R. D., Mazur, M., Ammash, N., Sochor, O., Grill, D. E., & Wysokinski, W. E. (2015). The association between thromboembolic complications and blood group in patients with atrial fibrillation. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 90(2), 216-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2014.11.013

The association between thromboembolic complications and blood group in patients with atrial fibrillation. / Blustin, Jodi M.; McBane, Robert D.; Mazur, Matylda; Ammash, Naser; Sochor, Ondrej; Grill, Diane E.; Wysokinski, Waldemar E.

In: Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Vol. 90, No. 2, 01.02.2015, p. 216-223.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Blustin, JM, McBane, RD, Mazur, M, Ammash, N, Sochor, O, Grill, DE & Wysokinski, WE 2015, 'The association between thromboembolic complications and blood group in patients with atrial fibrillation', Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 216-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2014.11.013
Blustin, Jodi M. ; McBane, Robert D. ; Mazur, Matylda ; Ammash, Naser ; Sochor, Ondrej ; Grill, Diane E. ; Wysokinski, Waldemar E. / The association between thromboembolic complications and blood group in patients with atrial fibrillation. In: Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2015 ; Vol. 90, No. 2. pp. 216-223.
@article{5fcc7f87f5d345138a2985500b9c7c2d,
title = "The association between thromboembolic complications and blood group in patients with atrial fibrillation",
abstract = "Objective To determine whether blood type affects the risk of thromboembolic complications in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF). Patients and Methods The Mayo Clinic electronic medical record was searched (between January 1, 2004, and December 31, 2010) to identify all patients with AF with blood group assessment. Records were analyzed for stroke, transient ischemic attack, left atrium appendage thrombus, cerebral or peripheral embolism, and hemorrhagic stroke. All events were adjusted for Congestive heart failure, Hypertension, Age >75 Years, Diabetes mellitus, and Stroke/transient ischemic attack score. Results Of the 47,816 patients with AF, 14,462 had blood group type available (40{\%} women; mean age, 73±12 years). These included 12,363 patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation (NVAF) (40{\%} women; mean age, 73±12 years) and 2099 patients with valvular AF (41{\%} women, mean age, 73±12 years). Within patients with NVAF, the rate of peripheral embolization was significantly lower in those with blood type O (2.0{\%}) than in those with other blood types (3.0{\%}; odds ratio, 0.66; 95{\%} CI, 0.52-0.84; P",
author = "Blustin, {Jodi M.} and McBane, {Robert D.} and Matylda Mazur and Naser Ammash and Ondrej Sochor and Grill, {Diane E.} and Wysokinski, {Waldemar E.}",
year = "2015",
month = "2",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.mayocp.2014.11.013",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "90",
pages = "216--223",
journal = "Mayo Clinic Proceedings",
issn = "0025-6196",
publisher = "Elsevier Science",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The association between thromboembolic complications and blood group in patients with atrial fibrillation

AU - Blustin, Jodi M.

AU - McBane, Robert D.

AU - Mazur, Matylda

AU - Ammash, Naser

AU - Sochor, Ondrej

AU - Grill, Diane E.

AU - Wysokinski, Waldemar E.

PY - 2015/2/1

Y1 - 2015/2/1

N2 - Objective To determine whether blood type affects the risk of thromboembolic complications in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF). Patients and Methods The Mayo Clinic electronic medical record was searched (between January 1, 2004, and December 31, 2010) to identify all patients with AF with blood group assessment. Records were analyzed for stroke, transient ischemic attack, left atrium appendage thrombus, cerebral or peripheral embolism, and hemorrhagic stroke. All events were adjusted for Congestive heart failure, Hypertension, Age >75 Years, Diabetes mellitus, and Stroke/transient ischemic attack score. Results Of the 47,816 patients with AF, 14,462 had blood group type available (40% women; mean age, 73±12 years). These included 12,363 patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation (NVAF) (40% women; mean age, 73±12 years) and 2099 patients with valvular AF (41% women, mean age, 73±12 years). Within patients with NVAF, the rate of peripheral embolization was significantly lower in those with blood type O (2.0%) than in those with other blood types (3.0%; odds ratio, 0.66; 95% CI, 0.52-0.84; P

AB - Objective To determine whether blood type affects the risk of thromboembolic complications in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF). Patients and Methods The Mayo Clinic electronic medical record was searched (between January 1, 2004, and December 31, 2010) to identify all patients with AF with blood group assessment. Records were analyzed for stroke, transient ischemic attack, left atrium appendage thrombus, cerebral or peripheral embolism, and hemorrhagic stroke. All events were adjusted for Congestive heart failure, Hypertension, Age >75 Years, Diabetes mellitus, and Stroke/transient ischemic attack score. Results Of the 47,816 patients with AF, 14,462 had blood group type available (40% women; mean age, 73±12 years). These included 12,363 patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation (NVAF) (40% women; mean age, 73±12 years) and 2099 patients with valvular AF (41% women, mean age, 73±12 years). Within patients with NVAF, the rate of peripheral embolization was significantly lower in those with blood type O (2.0%) than in those with other blood types (3.0%; odds ratio, 0.66; 95% CI, 0.52-0.84; P

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84964253004&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84964253004&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.mayocp.2014.11.013

DO - 10.1016/j.mayocp.2014.11.013

M3 - Article

C2 - 25659240

AN - SCOPUS:84964253004

VL - 90

SP - 216

EP - 223

JO - Mayo Clinic Proceedings

JF - Mayo Clinic Proceedings

SN - 0025-6196

IS - 2

ER -