OBJECTIVE. The purpose of this study is to assess the complication rate and diagnostic accuracy of percutaneous image-guided core needle biopsy (CNB) of the spleen at a single center over the course of 12 years. MATERIALS AND METHODS. A retrospective review of an institutionally maintained biopsy database was used to identify CNBs of the spleen performed between October 2002 and January 2015. Clinical notes were reviewed from the date of biopsy to 3 months after biopsy to ascertain whether any immediate or delayed complications had occurred. Minor complications included pain requiring analgesia and incidental asymptomatic bleeding. Major complications were those scored at or above grade 3 according to the National Institutes of Health's Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events, version 4.0. The pathology reports issued for each specimen were evaluated and compared with results obtained from splenectomy, biopsy performed at another anatomic site, or longitudinal clinical or imaging follow-up. Sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy were calculated. RESULTS. A total of 97 CNBs of the spleen were performed, 23 of which were CT guided and 74 of which were ultrasound guided. There were seven (7.2%) minor complications and a single (1.0%) major complication; the overall complication rate was 8.2% (n = 8). The diagnostic yield-defined as adequate tissue to establish a diagnosis-of CNB was 93.8%, the sensitivity was 90.7%, the specificity was 100%, and the accuracy was 94.5%. CONCLUSION. Percutaneous image-guided CNB of the spleen is safe and effective in achieving a tissue diagnosis.
- Core needle biopsy
- Percutaneous biopsy
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging