Preoperative N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide level can predict the regression of left ventricular mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe mitral regurgitation: One-year follow-up

Bong Gun Song, Sung Ji Park, Eun Seok Jeon, Soo Hee Choi, Young Keun On, Jin Oh Choi, Sang Chol Lee, Seung Woo Park, Duk Kyung Kim, Jae Kuen Oh, Ki Ick Sung, Pyo Won Park

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

5 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: The aim of this study was to investigate preoperative clinical and echocardiographic characteristics and N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) levels as prognostic factors for regression of the left ventricular (LV) mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe mitral regurgitation (MR). Methods: One hundred seventeen patients undergoing surgery for chronic severe MR were included. Plasma NT-proBNP measurements and echocardiography were performed preoperatively, immediately postoperatively, and at six and 12 months after surgery. Any regression of the LV mass was evaluated by echocardiography. Results: During follow-up, 90 patients (77%) were classified as an LV mass regression group (LVMR), defined as having a postoperative reduction in LV mass indexed against body surface area (LVMI). The remaining 27 (23%) patients were classified as NON-LVMR. The LVMR group was younger (p = 0.029) and had significantly lower ratios of patients with hypertension (p = 0.045) and diuretic use (p = 0.005) than the NON-LVMR group. They also had lower levels of NT-proBNP (median: 446.4 pg/ml versus 1394.0 pg/ml, p = 0.001). In multivariate analysis, higher preoperative NT-proBNP levels were independent predictors of no significant regression of the LV mass (odds ratio = 1.731, 95% confidence intervals 1.052-2.844, p = 0.010). Conclusions: A lower preoperative NT-proBNP level predicted the regression of LV mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe MR. This measure could be used as a biomarker for predicting the postoperative course in such patients.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)203-208
Number of pages6
JournalInternational Journal of Cardiology
Volume145
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Nov 19 2010
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Brain Natriuretic Peptide
Mitral Valve Insufficiency
Echocardiography
Body Surface Area
Diuretics
Multivariate Analysis
Biomarkers
Odds Ratio
Confidence Intervals
Hypertension

Keywords

  • Left ventricular mass
  • Left ventricular remodeling
  • Mitral regurgitation
  • Mitral valve surgery
  • NT-proBNP

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Preoperative N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide level can predict the regression of left ventricular mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe mitral regurgitation : One-year follow-up. / Song, Bong Gun; Park, Sung Ji; Jeon, Eun Seok; Choi, Soo Hee; On, Young Keun; Choi, Jin Oh; Lee, Sang Chol; Park, Seung Woo; Kim, Duk Kyung; Oh, Jae Kuen; Sung, Ki Ick; Won Park, Pyo.

In: International Journal of Cardiology, Vol. 145, No. 2, 19.11.2010, p. 203-208.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Song, Bong Gun ; Park, Sung Ji ; Jeon, Eun Seok ; Choi, Soo Hee ; On, Young Keun ; Choi, Jin Oh ; Lee, Sang Chol ; Park, Seung Woo ; Kim, Duk Kyung ; Oh, Jae Kuen ; Sung, Ki Ick ; Won Park, Pyo. / Preoperative N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide level can predict the regression of left ventricular mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe mitral regurgitation : One-year follow-up. In: International Journal of Cardiology. 2010 ; Vol. 145, No. 2. pp. 203-208.
@article{a43df1f08c004412b46e4a3264161901,
title = "Preoperative N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide level can predict the regression of left ventricular mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe mitral regurgitation: One-year follow-up",
abstract = "Background: The aim of this study was to investigate preoperative clinical and echocardiographic characteristics and N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) levels as prognostic factors for regression of the left ventricular (LV) mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe mitral regurgitation (MR). Methods: One hundred seventeen patients undergoing surgery for chronic severe MR were included. Plasma NT-proBNP measurements and echocardiography were performed preoperatively, immediately postoperatively, and at six and 12 months after surgery. Any regression of the LV mass was evaluated by echocardiography. Results: During follow-up, 90 patients (77{\%}) were classified as an LV mass regression group (LVMR), defined as having a postoperative reduction in LV mass indexed against body surface area (LVMI). The remaining 27 (23{\%}) patients were classified as NON-LVMR. The LVMR group was younger (p = 0.029) and had significantly lower ratios of patients with hypertension (p = 0.045) and diuretic use (p = 0.005) than the NON-LVMR group. They also had lower levels of NT-proBNP (median: 446.4 pg/ml versus 1394.0 pg/ml, p = 0.001). In multivariate analysis, higher preoperative NT-proBNP levels were independent predictors of no significant regression of the LV mass (odds ratio = 1.731, 95{\%} confidence intervals 1.052-2.844, p = 0.010). Conclusions: A lower preoperative NT-proBNP level predicted the regression of LV mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe MR. This measure could be used as a biomarker for predicting the postoperative course in such patients.",
keywords = "Left ventricular mass, Left ventricular remodeling, Mitral regurgitation, Mitral valve surgery, NT-proBNP",
author = "Song, {Bong Gun} and Park, {Sung Ji} and Jeon, {Eun Seok} and Choi, {Soo Hee} and On, {Young Keun} and Choi, {Jin Oh} and Lee, {Sang Chol} and Park, {Seung Woo} and Kim, {Duk Kyung} and Oh, {Jae Kuen} and Sung, {Ki Ick} and {Won Park}, Pyo",
year = "2010",
month = "11",
day = "19",
doi = "10.1016/j.ijcard.2010.09.049",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "145",
pages = "203--208",
journal = "International Journal of Cardiology",
issn = "0167-5273",
publisher = "Elsevier Ireland Ltd",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Preoperative N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide level can predict the regression of left ventricular mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe mitral regurgitation

T2 - One-year follow-up

AU - Song, Bong Gun

AU - Park, Sung Ji

AU - Jeon, Eun Seok

AU - Choi, Soo Hee

AU - On, Young Keun

AU - Choi, Jin Oh

AU - Lee, Sang Chol

AU - Park, Seung Woo

AU - Kim, Duk Kyung

AU - Oh, Jae Kuen

AU - Sung, Ki Ick

AU - Won Park, Pyo

PY - 2010/11/19

Y1 - 2010/11/19

N2 - Background: The aim of this study was to investigate preoperative clinical and echocardiographic characteristics and N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) levels as prognostic factors for regression of the left ventricular (LV) mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe mitral regurgitation (MR). Methods: One hundred seventeen patients undergoing surgery for chronic severe MR were included. Plasma NT-proBNP measurements and echocardiography were performed preoperatively, immediately postoperatively, and at six and 12 months after surgery. Any regression of the LV mass was evaluated by echocardiography. Results: During follow-up, 90 patients (77%) were classified as an LV mass regression group (LVMR), defined as having a postoperative reduction in LV mass indexed against body surface area (LVMI). The remaining 27 (23%) patients were classified as NON-LVMR. The LVMR group was younger (p = 0.029) and had significantly lower ratios of patients with hypertension (p = 0.045) and diuretic use (p = 0.005) than the NON-LVMR group. They also had lower levels of NT-proBNP (median: 446.4 pg/ml versus 1394.0 pg/ml, p = 0.001). In multivariate analysis, higher preoperative NT-proBNP levels were independent predictors of no significant regression of the LV mass (odds ratio = 1.731, 95% confidence intervals 1.052-2.844, p = 0.010). Conclusions: A lower preoperative NT-proBNP level predicted the regression of LV mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe MR. This measure could be used as a biomarker for predicting the postoperative course in such patients.

AB - Background: The aim of this study was to investigate preoperative clinical and echocardiographic characteristics and N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) levels as prognostic factors for regression of the left ventricular (LV) mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe mitral regurgitation (MR). Methods: One hundred seventeen patients undergoing surgery for chronic severe MR were included. Plasma NT-proBNP measurements and echocardiography were performed preoperatively, immediately postoperatively, and at six and 12 months after surgery. Any regression of the LV mass was evaluated by echocardiography. Results: During follow-up, 90 patients (77%) were classified as an LV mass regression group (LVMR), defined as having a postoperative reduction in LV mass indexed against body surface area (LVMI). The remaining 27 (23%) patients were classified as NON-LVMR. The LVMR group was younger (p = 0.029) and had significantly lower ratios of patients with hypertension (p = 0.045) and diuretic use (p = 0.005) than the NON-LVMR group. They also had lower levels of NT-proBNP (median: 446.4 pg/ml versus 1394.0 pg/ml, p = 0.001). In multivariate analysis, higher preoperative NT-proBNP levels were independent predictors of no significant regression of the LV mass (odds ratio = 1.731, 95% confidence intervals 1.052-2.844, p = 0.010). Conclusions: A lower preoperative NT-proBNP level predicted the regression of LV mass after valvular surgery in patients with chronic severe MR. This measure could be used as a biomarker for predicting the postoperative course in such patients.

KW - Left ventricular mass

KW - Left ventricular remodeling

KW - Mitral regurgitation

KW - Mitral valve surgery

KW - NT-proBNP

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=78649996479&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=78649996479&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.ijcard.2010.09.049

DO - 10.1016/j.ijcard.2010.09.049

M3 - Article

C2 - 20956023

AN - SCOPUS:78649996479

VL - 145

SP - 203

EP - 208

JO - International Journal of Cardiology

JF - International Journal of Cardiology

SN - 0167-5273

IS - 2

ER -