Outcomes in patients with ulcerative colitis undergoing partial or complete reconstructive surgery for failing ileal pouch-anal anastomosis

Kellie L. Mathis, Eric J. Dozois, David W. Larson, Robert R. Cima, Bruce G. Wolff, John H. Pemberton

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

32 Scopus citations

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Evaluate outcomes of patients with an original diagnosis of ulcerative colitis (UC) who required partial or complete ileal pouch reconstruction due to poor function or infectious complications. METHODS: A prospectively collected ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) database was reviewed retrospectively to identify UC patients undergoing major reconstructive revisions of their IPAA at our institution between 1981 and 2005. Functional results were derived from continued surveys of patients. RESULTS: Fifty-one UC patients were identified but 22 subsequently proved to have Crohns disease (CD). The initial IPAA was constructed at our institution in 32 patients and elsewhere in 19 patients. Indications for revision included infectious/ inflammatory complications (65%) and mechanical difficulties (35%). Pouch revision was partial in 57% of patients and complete in 43%. There were no postoperative deaths. Following reconstruction, patients reported on average 5 daytime and 1 nighttime bowel movements. Daytime incontinence was occasional in 43% and frequent in 4%. Nighttime incontinence was occasional in 54% and frequent in 7%. The probability of pouch survival after reconstruction was 93% at 1 year and 89% at 5 years. Of the pouches that subsequently failed, 75% occurred in patients with a later diagnosis of CD. Postreconstruction abscess was a significant risk factor for ultimate pouch failure. CONCLUSIONS: In UC patients with failing IPAA, partial or complete pouch reconstruction can be done safely with good functional results, and may avoid pouch excision and permanent ileostomy in carefully selected patients, especially those with definite UC.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)409-413
Number of pages5
JournalAnnals of surgery
Volume249
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 1 2009

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Outcomes in patients with ulcerative colitis undergoing partial or complete reconstructive surgery for failing ileal pouch-anal anastomosis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this