Dose reduction using digital fluoroscopy versus digital subtraction angiography in endovascular aneurysm repair: A prospective randomized trial

Kenneth S. Zurcher, Sailendra G. Naidu, Samuel R. Money, William M. Stone, Richard J. Fowl, Grace Knuttinen, Rahmi Oklu, Lisa A. Rotellini Coltvet, Daniel Crawford, Matthew R. Buras, William Pavlicek

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

Objective: Endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) can result in high radiation dose to patients and operators. This prospective randomized study aimed to assess whether patient radiation dose sustained during EVAR could be decreased by predominantly using digital fluoroscopy (DF) vs the standard technique using digital subtraction angiography (DSA). Methods: Between February 2011 and June 2017, patients with EVAR of infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysms were prospectively enrolled and randomly assigned to a standard treatment DSA cohort or a DF cohort in which two or fewer DSA acquisitions were allowed for confirmatory imaging. Primary end points included dose-area product (DAP) and cumulative air kerma. Secondary end points included technical success and conversion to DSA standard treatment (if DF was inadequate for visualization). Results: For all 43 patients enrolled (26 in the DF cohort, 17 in the DSA cohort), technical success was 100%. Of the 26 DF patients, 5 (19%) required conversion to the DSA cohort. In an intention-to-treat analysis, mean DAP was significantly lower in the DF cohort than in the DSA cohort (132 vs 174 Gy·cm2; P = .04). When patients were separated by number of DSA acquisitions (two or fewer vs three or more), mean DAP decreased 41% (109 vs 185 Gy·cm2; P = .005) and cumulative air kerma decreased 40% (578 vs 964 mGy; P = .004). Conclusions: In most patients (81%), DF or limited DSA was adequate for visualization during EVAR. In both intention-to-treat DF and limited-DSA cohorts, mean DAP was significantly decreased. If image quality allows, a DF-only or limited-DSA approach to EVAR decreases radiation dose.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1938-1945
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of vascular surgery
Volume72
Issue number6
DOIs
StateAccepted/In press - 2020

Keywords

  • Digital subtraction angiography
  • Dose reduction
  • Endovascular aneurysm repair
  • Fluoroscopy
  • Radiation dose
  • Stent graft

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Dose reduction using digital fluoroscopy versus digital subtraction angiography in endovascular aneurysm repair: A prospective randomized trial'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this