Disability outcomes in a worker's compensation population

surgical versus nonsurgical treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome.

A. Y. Shin, M. Perlman, P. A. Shin, A. A. Garay

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

13 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

A retrospective record review of patients with occupational carpal tunnel syndrome, nerve conduction velocity studies, and a closed Workers' Compensation case was undertaken to compare the outcome of surgical versus nonsurgical treatment with respect to disability and return to work status. Between January 1, 1991, and December 31, 1993, 182 patients who met the inclusion criteria were identified. Surgical release of the carpal tunnel was performed in 57% of patients and the other 43% were treated conservatively. Overall, 82% of patients returned to full work status, whereas 18% had duty modifications. Surgical treatment decreased the rate of duty modifications and disability ratings compared with nonsurgical treatment and reduced the odds of incurring disability. Severity of carpal tunnel syndrome was also a significant factor affecting disability. Despite the generally held belief that the outcome of treatment of occupational carpal tunnel syndrome is poor, the present study shows that both surgical and nonsurgical treatment is effective. However, patients treated with surgery had decreased disability when compared with those who were treated conservatively.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)179-184
Number of pages6
JournalAmerican journal of orthopedics (Belle Mead, N.J.)
Volume29
Issue number3
StatePublished - Mar 2000
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Workers' Compensation
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Population
Therapeutics
Return to Work
Neural Conduction
Wrist

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Cite this

Disability outcomes in a worker's compensation population : surgical versus nonsurgical treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome. / Shin, A. Y.; Perlman, M.; Shin, P. A.; Garay, A. A.

In: American journal of orthopedics (Belle Mead, N.J.), Vol. 29, No. 3, 03.2000, p. 179-184.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{de1eec4b6a7d4842b2a070d3a1a3339c,
title = "Disability outcomes in a worker's compensation population: surgical versus nonsurgical treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome.",
abstract = "A retrospective record review of patients with occupational carpal tunnel syndrome, nerve conduction velocity studies, and a closed Workers' Compensation case was undertaken to compare the outcome of surgical versus nonsurgical treatment with respect to disability and return to work status. Between January 1, 1991, and December 31, 1993, 182 patients who met the inclusion criteria were identified. Surgical release of the carpal tunnel was performed in 57{\%} of patients and the other 43{\%} were treated conservatively. Overall, 82{\%} of patients returned to full work status, whereas 18{\%} had duty modifications. Surgical treatment decreased the rate of duty modifications and disability ratings compared with nonsurgical treatment and reduced the odds of incurring disability. Severity of carpal tunnel syndrome was also a significant factor affecting disability. Despite the generally held belief that the outcome of treatment of occupational carpal tunnel syndrome is poor, the present study shows that both surgical and nonsurgical treatment is effective. However, patients treated with surgery had decreased disability when compared with those who were treated conservatively.",
author = "Shin, {A. Y.} and M. Perlman and Shin, {P. A.} and Garay, {A. A.}",
year = "2000",
month = "3",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "29",
pages = "179--184",
journal = "American Journal of Orthopedics",
issn = "1078-4519",
publisher = "Quadrant Healthcom Inc.",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Disability outcomes in a worker's compensation population

T2 - surgical versus nonsurgical treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome.

AU - Shin, A. Y.

AU - Perlman, M.

AU - Shin, P. A.

AU - Garay, A. A.

PY - 2000/3

Y1 - 2000/3

N2 - A retrospective record review of patients with occupational carpal tunnel syndrome, nerve conduction velocity studies, and a closed Workers' Compensation case was undertaken to compare the outcome of surgical versus nonsurgical treatment with respect to disability and return to work status. Between January 1, 1991, and December 31, 1993, 182 patients who met the inclusion criteria were identified. Surgical release of the carpal tunnel was performed in 57% of patients and the other 43% were treated conservatively. Overall, 82% of patients returned to full work status, whereas 18% had duty modifications. Surgical treatment decreased the rate of duty modifications and disability ratings compared with nonsurgical treatment and reduced the odds of incurring disability. Severity of carpal tunnel syndrome was also a significant factor affecting disability. Despite the generally held belief that the outcome of treatment of occupational carpal tunnel syndrome is poor, the present study shows that both surgical and nonsurgical treatment is effective. However, patients treated with surgery had decreased disability when compared with those who were treated conservatively.

AB - A retrospective record review of patients with occupational carpal tunnel syndrome, nerve conduction velocity studies, and a closed Workers' Compensation case was undertaken to compare the outcome of surgical versus nonsurgical treatment with respect to disability and return to work status. Between January 1, 1991, and December 31, 1993, 182 patients who met the inclusion criteria were identified. Surgical release of the carpal tunnel was performed in 57% of patients and the other 43% were treated conservatively. Overall, 82% of patients returned to full work status, whereas 18% had duty modifications. Surgical treatment decreased the rate of duty modifications and disability ratings compared with nonsurgical treatment and reduced the odds of incurring disability. Severity of carpal tunnel syndrome was also a significant factor affecting disability. Despite the generally held belief that the outcome of treatment of occupational carpal tunnel syndrome is poor, the present study shows that both surgical and nonsurgical treatment is effective. However, patients treated with surgery had decreased disability when compared with those who were treated conservatively.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0034153160&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0034153160&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 29

SP - 179

EP - 184

JO - American Journal of Orthopedics

JF - American Journal of Orthopedics

SN - 1078-4519

IS - 3

ER -