Combination therapy with thalidomide and dexamethasone in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma not undergoing upfront autologous stem cell transplantation: A phase II trial

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

24 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background and Objectives. Thalidomide plus dexamethasone (Thal/Dex) has emerged as an effective alternative to vincristine, doxorubicin and dexamethasone as a pre-transplant induction therapy for newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. However, many patients treated initially with Thal/Dex do not proceed to autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT) and the time to progression and other outcome measures with Thal/Dex as primary therapy for multiple myeloma are not known. We present the first data on the outcome of patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma treated with Thal/Dex who did not undergo upfront ASCT. Design and Methods. We identified 21 patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma treated with Thal/Dex on a phase II clinical trial who did not undergo ASCT due to age, comorbidity or the patient's refusal. Patients received thalidomide at a dose of 200 mg/day orally and dexamethasone 40 mg daily on days 1-4, 9-12, 17-20 (odd months) and days 1-4 (even months). Cycles were repeated every 28 days. Results. The median age was 66 years (range 36-78). The median duration of follow-up was 21 months (range 1-52). One (5%) patient achieved a complete response, and 9 (43%) had a partial response, so the overall response rate was 48%. Of the remaining patients, 7 (33.3%) had stable disease, one patient did not respond, and three died while on therapy prior to response assessment. The median overall survival and time to progression were 21 months and 18 months, respectively. Interpretation and Conclusions. The median time to disease progression in patients with multiple myeloma who receive initial therapy with Thal/Dex and who do not undergo ASCT is 18 months.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1650-1654
Number of pages5
JournalHaematologica
Volume90
Issue number12
StatePublished - Dec 1 2005

Keywords

  • Dexamethasone
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Thalidomide
  • Therapy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Hematology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Combination therapy with thalidomide and dexamethasone in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma not undergoing upfront autologous stem cell transplantation: A phase II trial'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this