Biochemical recurrence of prostate cancer after definitive therapy with radical prostatectomy occurs in 25%-30% of cases. The first known case of magnetic resonance (MR) imagingguided ablation using laser interstitial thermal therapy (LITT) for locally recurrent prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy is presented. Using 3.0T MR guidance, two laser applicators were placed via a transperineal approach. Laser ablation was performed using MR thermometry to determine the ablation endpoint and lesion coverage. Dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging after the procedure showed no definitive abnormal enhancement. The patient had no change in continence or potency after the procedure.
- dynamic contrast enhancement
- laser interstitial thermal therapy (LITT)
- prostate-specific antigen
- proton resonance frequency
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
- Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine